Friday, August 04, 2006

Nathan, the Tactful Prophet

Two words we need to see together more often. :) Nathan strikes the perfect balance between hellfire and brimstone and respectful suggestion. The point of his story hits hard, but the way he tells it gives David a chance to draw his own conclusions and make his own decision.

Nathan respects David's intelligence and right to make a choice. He doesn't go to him and lecture him as if he were a child. God does the same thing to us. He gives us time and space to make our own decision--He doesn't beat us over the head.

I am so bad at this. When people don't respond to truth, I want to bang them over the head with LOUDER truth. It just doesn't work that way. According to Proverbs, "a soft word breaketh the bone..."

2 Comments:

Blogger Dayton said...

Emily, I find your comments on Nathan, David, and Bathsheba very insightful. I find it is very important to be tactful in expressing ourselves, but I haven't met anyone who fully controls his tounge.

I wonder about Bathsheba, though. She was trained in the right path, yet she was unfaithful. She was wise enough to write (yes it was most likely her) Proverbs 31, but naive in politics. This is an intriguing subject. Keep up the good work!

6:36 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

Thanks Dayton!! Great to hear some comments on my OT ramblings. I've learned a lot from my reading, but I've been neglecting this blog & my real in-depth OT study lately. Thanks for the comment...reminds me to get back into it.

I was surprised how much info there actually is about Bathsheba. You have to use the cross-references, but there is quite a bit. Intriguing subject!

12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home